Connect with us

National News

Big-name US consulting firm pulls out of Gaza Humanitarian Foundation — for shame?

Published

on

The Boston Consulting Group, one of the world’s leading management companies, has pulled out of the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation as criticism of its operations and controversy around reported IDF shootings of Palestinians arriving to get food have ballooned in the last three days.

The US-based BCG is one of the ‘Big Three’ in the management consultancy world, alongside McKinsey and Co. and Bain and Co. It had reportedly designed and was managing the implementation of operations at the Foundation — which has, in somewhat murky fashion, both US and Israeli (Mossad) backers.

The Foundation has also seen several top officers quit, just in the last week alone, as several media reports have noted — including this one from the Guardian. Leading the exodus, literally, was the Foundation’s former executive director Jake Wood, a former US Marine who resigned because he could not ensure the GHF’s independence from Israeli interests. That was 26 May.

As for Johnnie Moore, who replaced Wood on 3 June, he is a member of the US Commission on International Religious Freedom — and an adviser to POTUS Donald Trump on ‘inter-faith issues’.

He has been a strident defender of the GHF since well before he took charge, calling out UN secretary-general Antonio Guterres on X with an @, designating him a liar amplifying a Hamas-directed disinformation campaign.

The Guardian noted:

‘A biography on the Kairos website calls Moore a “noted evangelical friend of the State of Israel” and says that he has played an important role in US outreach to Middle Eastern governments, including in the conclusion of the Abraham accords to normalise relations between Israel and Arab states.’

What he does not have, the report pointed out, is any experience with humanitarian aid operations.

Meanwhile, the BCG — which was setting prices and supporting and supplying logistical partners for the Foundation’s four distribution hubs has bowed out, leaving the GHF to close down operations Wednesday, 4 June, to allow for clearly unscheduled “update, organization and efficiency improvement work” — just after it announced it was going to try out a women-only lane at the aid centre in Khan Younis, Rafah, for its next distribution day.

Per a Washington Post report citing a spokesperson for the firm, the company has terminated its contract with GHF and placed one of its senior partners, who was leading the project, on leave — pending an internal review.

How non-partisan said review might prove we do not know, but the same report notes an interesting discrepancy of accounts — pun intended. While a BCG spokesperson said its involvement with GHF was pro bono, a source ‘familiar with its operations’ claimed monthly invoices of over $1 million were presented to the Foundation.

Intriguingly, the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation’s X handle is @CallElection — a hint perhaps at a not very neutral political agenda?

It has, in a recent post, stated that among its objectives is not just helping all “innocent” people in Gaza but also saving them from “Hamas and UN groups that harm them” (italics ours).

The UN’s harmful act, apparently, is to point out people are dying in the attempt to obtain GHF aid.

The GHF, however, yesterday, 3 June, took credit — via Moore — for delivering more than 7 million meals to Gazans in the last week.

These are numbers for which no independent verification is available, in large part because the aid centre in question is closed to international media (and of course Palestinian media are to be seen as inherently biased, maybe even Hamas).

But back to the GHF, which has said it expects to resume operations on Thursday, 5 May.

The UN has said GHF operations are designed to maintain scarcity and herd people to this danger zone in Rafah, in a highly militarised space — which has been designated as a safe zone in the past, only for people to be bombarded once in the refugee camps here like fish in a barrel — where the IDF army acknowledges shooting anyone who strays off the narrow designated path to get out ahead, because that is a threat to Israel’s soldiers.

Israel has had a little crow about how well things are going too.

Curiously, the official government handle repeatedly refers to the GHF as US-led and makes no mention of its own support of the Foundation.

Amongst the contractors BCG was likely facilitating for GHF are the US private security contractors employed to stave off alleged Hamas militants seizing supplies from aid trucks in Gaza. They are guarding not only the aid convoys but the three (out of four) distribution hubs currently operational in southern Gaza.

These distribution centres have been called a “fig leaf” for Israel — and ally United States — to facilitate the displacement of Palestinians by UN aid chief Tom Fletcher in his briefing to the United Nations Security Council earlier.

The UN has also repeatedly denied any militant activity siphoning off aid supplies at scale, which is the whole raison d’être for GHF’s existence — supposedly.

On the other hand, when it comes to the shootings near the aid hubs, the Associated Press reports that the Israeli military has only said it fired warning shots in several instances — and acknowledged having fired directly at a few ‘suspects’ who ignored warnings and approached its forces. It has denied opening fire on civilians; and, for once, has not claimed Hamas fired in the area of the hubs, though it says it is ‘still investigating’.

What we do know is the crowds desperate for food and other essentials are forced to pass close to the areas where Israeli soldiers are stationed.

And the desperation is a known and understandable factor, juxtaposed against Israel’s 5 a.m. curfew and the narrow corridors ‘allowed’ for movement — with the GHF having started aid distribution on 26 May, following a nearly three-month Israeli blockade that has pushed Gaza’s population of more than 2 million people to the brink of famine.

Add to this that, while there are three distribution hubs — one in central Gaza and two on the outskirts of the now mostly uninhabited city of Rafah — not all of them operate daily.

If people break rank or queue up at 3 a.m., who can blame them?

Apparently, the IDF and Israel’s staunch allies do.

To reach the sites in Rafah, Palestinians must walk for miles along a designated route where the GHF says the Israeli military is in charge of security rather than its own US-based contractor. In statements to the public, the GHF has warned people to stay on the road, since leaving it “represents a great danger”.

That danger, in this case, is surely not Hamas.

Distribution usually starts at 5 a.m. each day. But thousands of Palestinians start walking hours earlier, desperate not to miss out on food. That means large crowds passing by Israeli troops in the dark.

When GHF paused aid distribution on Wednesday, it did say that it was discussing with the IDF measures to improve civilian safety, including changes to traffic management and troop training in this militarised zone (which by definition is barred to media).

Heaviest fire near army base

While shootings have been reported near all three hubs, the heaviest occurred Sunday (1 June) and Tuesday (3 June) at the Flag Roundabout. The traffic circle is located on the designated route about a kilometre northwest of the distribution hub in the Tel al-Sultan district of Rafah — a few hundred metres from an Israeli army base.

Witnesses said that in the early hours Sunday, as crowds made their way down the coastal road toward the hub, Israeli troops fired warning shots and made announcements through drones flying overhead, telling them to turn back and return when the hub opened at 5 a.m.

By 3 a.m., however, thousands were massed at the Flag Roundabout. That was when Israeli troops started firing, with guns, tanks and drones, three Palestinian witnesses said. They said they saw people falling dead or wounded as the crowd scattered for cover.

Mohammed Ahmed, one man in the crowd, said he saw no provocative acts before the shooting. He said troops “may have opened fire because they felt threatened by the thousands of people in the area”.

Witnesses gave similar accounts of Tuesday’s shooting, around 4 a.m., at the same roundabout.

Israel says it only fires warning shots to control crowds

The Israeli military said it fired warning shots on Sunday at “several suspects” approaching them. On Tuesday, it said it “fired to drive away suspects”. In a statement, army spokesman Effie Defrin said “the numbers of casualties published by Hamas were exaggerated” but the incident was being investigated.

He also again accused Hamas of “trying to disrupt the arrival of aid” to Palestinians and pointed to drone footage that the military says shows armed men firing at civilians trying to collect aid in the nearby city of Khan Younis, where there are no GHF sites.

AP reported that it could not independently verify the video, where it was not clear who was being targeted. In its statements, the IDF does not mention any armed Palestinians.

The GHF, meanwhile, claims there has been no violence in or around its distribution centres.

On Tuesday, GHF acknowledged that the IDF was investigating — but that the probe was into whether civilians were wounded “after moving beyond the designated safe corridor and into a closed military zone” in an area “well beyond our secure distribution site”.

A spokesperson added that the GHF was “saddened to learn that a number of civilians were injured and killed after moving beyond the designated safe corridor”.

Spate of casualties overwhelm hospitals

Officials at the Red Cross field hospital in Rafah and at Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis, meanwhile, report being overwhelmed by casualties — including women and children brought in from areas close to the distribution sites. They said most were suffering from gunshot wounds.

An aid worker at one hospital said the morgue was overflowing and that the wounded filled every bed, with more on the floor. Many had gunshot wounds to the buttocks and legs. The worker had spoken to AP on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to talk to the media.

Aid workers in Gaza say there is still a lot of uncertainty about what is happening and why so many people are being shot, injured and killed. The aid workers are unable to operate closer to the sites because they are military zones.

Humanitarian groups, meanwhile, have warned for weeks that having people collect aid in areas with a military presence would expose them to violence.

“This was a ludicrous and ineffective distribution mechanism that was going to end up deadly, which is, tragically, exactly what we are seeing,” said Arwa Damon, founder of the International Network for Aid, Relief and Assistance (INARA) — and a former senior journalist with CNN.

How UN-run humanitarian aid operations differ

The UN-run and allied systems operate differently, in that workers take aid to Palestinians wherever they are, rather than inviting them to cross hostile territory with no shelter nearby.

“It is appalling that the humanitarian sector that knows how to do their job is being prevented from doing it because of the false narrative that Hamas controls the aid,” Damon said.

Deadly encounters around aid distribution aren’t entirely new. In February 2024, Israeli troops guarding an aid convoy heading to northern Gaza opened fire as a crowd of desperate Palestinians stripped supplies off the trucks. More than 100 people were killed, according to Gaza’s health ministry, which is led by medical professionals but reports to the Hamas-run government.

After investigating that incident, Israel said its troops fired on a “number of suspects” who ignored warning shots and advanced toward its forces. It said a stampede around the trucks caused “significant harm to civilians.” EU and UN officials at the time said most of the casualties were from Israeli fire.

A race for food boxes

Palestinians have described a frenzied free-for-all to get food once they reach the GHF’s distribution sites.

Boxes of food are left piled up on pallets in an area surrounded by fences and earth berms. Once the sites’ gates are opened, the crowds rush in with everyone grabbing what they can. Witnesses say some people take multiple boxes, which quickly run out, and many must then leave empty-handed.

The GHF issued a video from the Tel al-Sultan hub showing Palestinians racing pell-mell toward the boxes.

Aid workers say the supplies are far from enough, though the GHF says each box contains enough food for a family of five to eat for 3–4 days. Most boxes contain flour, sugar, cooking oil, pasta and tuna cans, among other items.

“Our team on the ground reports these boxes are woefully insufficient for ensuring children’s well-being,” said Tess Ingram of UNICEF. “It doesn’t have to be this way.”

With AP inputs


Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National News

Women and children hungry, with Netanyahu, head of United Nations Food Agency

Published

on

According to the Palestinian Health Ministry in Gaza, about 63,000 people have died in Gaza since the war started. The agency said that 71 people were killed due to Israeli attacks on the previous day, while the scores were more injured. While the ministry does not distinguish between citizens and fighters, it says that more than half of the dead were women and children.

The ministry is part of the Hamas-Interactive Government and is part of employees by medical professionals. The United Nations and independent experts consider it to be the most reliable source of war casualties. Israel disputes its figures, but has not provided its own.

Hamas -led militants kidnapped 251 people and killed around 1,200 people, most of the citizens launched this latest war in the 7 October 2023 attack. Most hostages have been released in ceasefire or other deals. Out of the remaining 50 in Gaza, Israel believes that about 20 are alive.

United Nations chief Gutres has stated that Israel is with the obligations to protect citizens, to protect citizens, facilitate more human access and their required needs.

Systematic disintegration of food water and healthcare systems, Guterres said, “is the result of deliberately decisions that defy basic humanity”.

Continue Reading

National News

VP Vance says

Published

on

The 41 -year -old Republican’s remarks occurred amid increasing concerns about President Trump’s health after a major injury during his meeting with South Korean President Lee J. Mayung. It has been added that there are concerns about his inflamed ankles, its strange moving moves and a mixture of words.

In 78 years and seven months in January, Trump was the oldest President to take oath of office in US history, who had his predecessor, who was 78 and two months as Biden, when he assumed office in 2021.

Vance, who is the third youngest VP in American history, assured the nation that he was ready to take over in terms of anything that happens to President Trump.

“… If God does not, there is a terrible tragedy, I cannot think of better on-the-world training than what I have received in the last 200 days,” he told the USA Today.

Earlier this month, President Trump called Vance a “most likely” successor for the Maga movement, but VP has speculated about its 2028 schemes.

Continue Reading

National News

Derek O’Brien says that CMS fails to motivate confidence under the JPC, 30-day arrest on PM.

Published

on

As many opposition parties have announced that they will not participate in the Joint Parliamentary Committee, who will look into the new bills proposed to remove the Prime Minister, Chief Ministers and other ministers, if arrested for 30 days, Trinamool Congress leader Derek O’Brien said on Friday that the panel does not motivate trust.

He listed examples of opposition objections to Joint Parliamentary Committees (JPC), which usually dominate the MLAs of the ruling party.

In a blog of six reasons published on Friday, why ‘six reasons why JPCS do not Inspolar Confidence’, the Rajya Sabha leader cited the previous cases, where the opposition raised objections before the JPC.

Referring to the joint panel formed in 1987 to investigate the Bofors contract scam, he said that six major opposition parties boycotted the committee as most of its members were from the Congress.

He said, “Two parties are still BJP allies: Telugu Desam Party (TDP) and Asom Gan Parishad (AGP). The report of the committee submitted in 1988 was rejected by the opposition (non-Congress) to be biased,” he said.

The TMC leader also referred to the JPC set up in 2013 to investigate the Augusta Westland VVIP Choppers case. When the proposal for its formation was passed in the Rajya Sabha, the then leader of the opposition Arun Jaitley said that it was written by the government.

Since 2014, Parliament has established 11 JPCs, O’Bheen said, saying that the proposal for formation of JPC was adopted in seven cases on the last day of the session. “Conversely, between 2004 and 2014, three JPCs were installed, no set on the last day,” he said.

The TMC leader also indicated a recent report of a JPC on the Waqf Amendment Bill, which was introduced in Parliament after rebuating the opposition’s dissatisfaction notes.

He said, “After the outspoken protests by the opposition, BJP MP Medha Kulkarni, who reported in the Rajya Sabha in the morning, had to be taken to the post of a corerigandam for Appendix 5, which included notes that were re -included,” he wrote.

Continue Reading

Trending